Ronaldo lives the phenomenon of anticipating the status of his two clubs in the national elite. Cruzeiro and Real Valladolid are doing well, and if they return to the elite, they will confirm the success of the defender’s management 9. The projects and realities differ, but the management of cost and financial responsibility have characterized both unions.
- More cruise news
- Ronaldo completes five months of work: see the balance
In an interview with Globo, journalists Rodrigo Capello, who specializes in sports business, and Jesus Dominguez, who covers Real Valladolid, commented on Ronaldo’s Phenomeno projects.
In Valladolid, the Phenomenon contributed 30 million euros for 51% of the shares. Today he owns 80%. In Raposa, it acquired 90% with an initial investment of R$50 million and promised another R$350 million in “increasing” revenue.
Ronaldo at Independencia for Cruzeiro x Remo – Photo: Gabriel Duarte
The Ronaldo phenomenon, whether in Valladolid or Cruzeiro, presents the philosophy of the game concept as a non-negotiable factor. Just as he sought with Paolo Pezulano, at Cruzeiro, he also applied the attacking and vertical style of play in Valladolid, says Jesus Dominguez. In addition, according to the journalist, he gained athletes.
What was said is that Valladolid played very defensively, and Ronaldo wanted to bet on more vertical, beautiful and offensive football. In this attempt, they hired several important employees. Ronaldo thought it would be a long-term investment. There were a lot of players on loan from other clubs, older players, and there wasn’t a good prospect of long-term profits. Ronaldo, last year, tried to give the club the rights to more players, and more young players, who could be evaluated and sold. Then he made the changes.
“Let’s go to Brazil! The biggest game show at a price giving game. Sign the premiere!”
Brasiliao Premier Banner – Photo: Reproduction
In both clubs, Ronaldo’s management is headed by a CEO. In both Valladolid and Cruzeiro, there is a presence of boards of directors, among them Ronaldo in both cases. Other members of Raposa’s management are also part of the Spanish club’s management, such as Paulo Andre and Gabriel Lima.
– As in any other owner’s club, the owner is involved in the main decisions and is the one with the last word, but logically has a professional body appointed and paid to do the day-to-day management. I met the CEO of Valladolid, a French who has lived in Fortaleza for a long time, speaks Portuguese, and has a whole team behind him. You have Paulo Andre as the main director of the football department, as the sporting director, who will also, in a way, integrate Valladolid with Cruzeiro … There is also the whole professional body that is less than the people responsible for managing Valladolid day by day – explains Rodrigo Capello.
Cruzeiro’s Executive Board with Ronaldo and Paolo Pezzolano – Photo: Publicity / Cruzeiro
Another factor pointed out which also became apparent in Cruzeiro, is that Ronaldo will not be pumping large sums of money. It will make the business sustainable, so that it can sustain itself.
What is very clear based on the information we have from Cruzeiro and the reality of Real Valladolid is that Ronaldo is not the type of football club owner who will spend hundreds of millions, whether in Real or Euros, to strengthen the team. It is a management that relies more on management, strategy and philosophy of football than on spending and investment. This feature is present in both Cruzeiro and Valladolid – adds Rodrigo Capello.
Watch: All about Cruzeiro on ge, Globo and sportv
In terms of management, Ronaldo has tried to logically restructure the two clubs at different stages. Real Valladolid also found it with a high debt, no assets for players, and a stadium with old structures.
Ronaldo, according to Rodrigo Capello, has invested 7 million euros in the Jose Jose Zorrilla stadium and in the facilities. At Cruzeiro, there are also more than 20 improvement work in training centers on the horizon.
Ronaldo Valladolid Jose Zorrilla Stadium – Photo: Márcio Iannacca / GloboEsporte.com
Valladolid, since Ronaldo’s arrival, has changed its structure a lot. They invested 7 million euros in the stadium and club facilities. It’s still a small stadium, it’s a general power stadium, it’s not a Valladolid stadium, but it’s really a well organized place, with a good average attendance, the townspeople are already attending, and today it has a much better service than it was when the administration was before Ronaldo.
Journalist Jesus Dominguez provides an example of some of the improvements made by Ronaldo’s management:
– It’s been nearly 40 years since they’ve done their business. With Ronaldo, there have been some improvements in the field of journalism, for example, dressing rooms, lighting … Today it is state-of-the-art. Three years ago, if I’m not mistaken, they bought LED lights for garden care, because Valladolid is a region where it is very cold in winter and very hot in summer. Thanks to the light bulbs they bought, for example, Valladolid now has one of the best stadiums in Spain to play football. For safety reasons long ago, there was a trench surrounding the field. Hole for fans not invaded. With Ronaldo, there was work to bridge the gap. This is something that fans greatly appreciate.
>> 50K+: Cruzeiro will have the biggest audience and biggest income of the year against Sampaio
But in Spain, Ronaldo cannot make huge investments. There is a regulation in Spanish football, as mentioned by Rodrigo Capello.
– Valladolid in La Liga, La Liga in Spain, La Liga has something we don’t have in Brazil, which is Financial Fair Play, which is very strict. He can’t even spend more than he can, more than he wants. He even has to show the club’s revenue, how much he collects from sponsorship, how much is coming from TV, how much is coming from the league itself. So the league knows how much to increase and put a cap on spending on it. There is no way Ronaldo could be irresponsible in managing Valladolid.
24 Hours with Ronaldo: In the third chapter, the rituals of the President of Valladolid before the matches
There, Ronaldo also conducted a kind of judicial redemption, complemented by a specialist in sports business. Something Cruzeiro meant here, too.
– Later than Valladolid, it is interesting that Valladolid went through a kind of judicial recovery. They held a creditors’ contest where they renegotiated a debt that was historic, too large in proportion to Valladolid. Ronaldo took over this agreement after it had already been made with the obligation to pay these premiums. This is somewhat similar to what happens in Cruzeiro, again with a difference in proportion, because Cruzeiro owes much more than Valladolid at the time of Ronaldo’s arrival.
Ronaldo, today, is under pressure to transfer Valladolid and Cruzeiro to the national elite. Various tournament facts. But the pressure of the masses is present in both countries.
– I saw that they had a very demanding crowd. I went to watch a match between Valladolid against Real Sociedad B. Real Valladolid lost, it was an opportunity to come close to promotion to the first division. And 70 minutes into the match, there were still plenty of matches left, as Valladolid fans left the field upset and frustrated. Rodrigo Capello said that Valladolid has a much smaller crowd than Cruzeiro, but is very demanding.
As the journalist mentioned, the size of the clubs varies. One difference, for example, is the size of the fluctuations. To give you an idea, Cruzeiro’s membership program exceeds 52,000. Valladolid is close to 20,000.
Valladolid is a club that has the financial size of a club located between the second and first division of Spain, and it differs from the case of Cruzeiro, which despite being in the second division, is clearly a first-class club. . division in Brazil. So, the financial reality is a completely different reality – as Rodrigo Capello quotes.
Concern about co-management
In Spain, journalist Jesus Dominguez explains that there is still concern about how the two administrations will coexist.
– These are projects that respect each other and will help each other as much as possible. There was a lot of fear. The crowd was jealous. I don’t know why, but it’s true, there was a certain fear. It still exists. Today, there is less fear and less complaints, but at first people thought: they are going to Cruzeiro and they will leave it here anyway, in the second class, it is not important to them anymore. But Ronaldo was here in Valladolid recently, he met the press, he was training, with the fans … All this fear seems unfounded today, because he and his team are trying to show their interest. Real Valladolid continues. What is certain, and this is what we all understand, is that the presence of Ronaldo at the communicative level, and for example the presence of the two clubs in social networks, is different from Real Valladolid for Cruzeiro – concludes the journalist.
Getting to Valladolid is closer at the moment. Two rounds ago, he finished third with 75 points. If he ends up in that position, he will have to play a playoff with the three clubs below him in the table. You need to get past Eibar, who finished second with a score of 77, to climb straight.
Cruzeiro, in turn, starts Series B. But he has a good start, leading with 16 points and having four straight wins.
The GE Cruzeiro podcast is available on the following platforms:
- 🎧 Spotify – Click here to listen!
- 🎧 Google Podcasts – Click here to listen!
- 🎧 Apple Podcasts – Click here to listen!
- 🎧 Pocket Casts – Click here to listen!
- ▶ ️ Tap to play!
5-Star Partner – Cruzeiro – Photo: Publicity