The ball – Casa Pilla Atlético Clube, after 83 years in the First Division (article by Joao Marreros, 18 years old) (University of Spain)

The history of the federation goes back to 1893, when Real Casa Pia de Lisboa constituted the football practice that was then generalized to clubs in the capital and after Porto.

In 1894, the Margiochi group formed the first school football team at Casa Pia. Once they leave the institution, the players of the school teams will revitalize the strong club movement that has sprung up across the country for the sport.

Thanks to football, the associative spirit developed in the Kasabian region, where its first expression was embodied between 1890 and 1900, with the formation of the Margiochi group, made up of more than twenty former students from the last decade of the nineteenth century. This collection was intended to honor Francisco Simويسes Margiuchi, presenter of Casa Pia.

On January 22, 1898, the Grupo Escolar de Futebol da Real Casa Pia de Lisboa led by painter Pedro Geddes, former student and teacher of Casa Pia, won 2-0, the great footballing force of Lisbon, until then “unbeatable.”, masters of the language English club Carcavellos, staffed by Cabo Submarino, in the first historic victory of a Portuguese team over a foreign team.

The match was played at Campo da Quinta Nova, at the Cabo Submarino facilities in Carcavelos, and the ball, which was an expensive item for Casapians, was loaned by Ginásio Clube Português.

In 1920, on the 3rd of July, the biggest dream of the Belém Foundation came true, with the founding of the Casa Pía Atlético Club (CPAC), a sports federation with characteristics closely linked to the history and traditions of the so-called Mother’s House.

Its foundation had many Portuguese personalities at the time, Ricardo Ornelas, David Ferreira, Mario da Silva Márquez and Antonio Pinto, especially Candido de Oliveira, national coach, Benfica player and co-founder of the newspaper “A Bola” (29 January 1945), along with Vicente de Mello and Ribeiro dos Reis.

At Campo de Palhavã, on October 3, 1920, with the brilliant refereeing Casapiano Cosme Damião, the newly formed Casa Pia team, led by Candido de Oliveira, beat Sport Lisboa e Benfica 2-1. With this victory, they won the Herculano dos Santos bronze medal honoring the Benfica captain, the club’s first title in football.

To date, CPAC has participated in 73 matches in the National Football League, 2 in Division One, 37 in Division Two, 31 in Division Three and 2 in League 2. He had seven international players, Antonio Roquet (16 matches) and António Pinho ( 12), Gustavo Teixeira (10), Américo Pereira da Silva, Cândido de Oliveira, José Maria Gralha and António Lopes, with one game in a total of 31 representations.

Antonio Roquette was the goalkeeper in all three encounters at the 1928 Amsterdam Olympic Games. Prior to that at the 1924 Olympics (Paris), Casabiano Silva Marquez participated in the swimming method.

In the 1938-1939 championship, in the fifth edition of the Football League, which was played in two rounds, the following clubs participated: Futebol Clube do Porto, Sporting Clube de Portugal, Sport Lisbon and Benfica, Club de Futebol “os Belenenses”, Associacao Académica Coimbra and Futebol Clube Barreirense, Clube Académico de Coimbra and Casa Pia Atlético Clube. He played 14 matches by defeating Barerins (2-1), losing 13 defeats, scoring 12 goals and conceding 56.

On May 15 of this year, CPAC achieved promotion to First Division (League) football, after a hiatus of 83 years. A club that had different values, in which amateur, culture, social function and carefree exercise were most important. Let us hope, for the time being, with the foundation’s values, that its motto of culture, solidarity and sport will be realized.

Joao Mariros Associate Professor of University Education

Leave a Comment