Natural food can be an alternative for pets whose teachers are looking for a more appealing feed, with low blood sugar and without the use of preservatives or additives in its formula. Additionally, when the diet is prescribed and directed by a specialist veterinarian, the diet is customized and prepared according to each animal’s needs.
But it is worth emphasizing that this process must be accompanied by a specialist in the area, primarily in order to ensure balanced nutrition and to avoid poisoning of animals.
According to Ana Flávia Cascão, a veterinarian who works with natural food, there are some foods that are not recommended for animals and should not be included in their diets, because they work differently in the body and have different levels of toxicity.
“Among them, I’ll include star fruit, onions – which can cause anemia – and onions. Dogs can still eat garlic in very small amounts, but for cats we don’t recommend it,” he adds.
Although they are not toxic, fruits such as Brazil nuts, walnuts, almonds, and peanuts should always be eaten in moderation. Dough should also not be served raw for bread or cake because yeast can cause gas, bloating and pain, but is not fatal. Macadamia nuts are not to be used by pets.
“The potato peel also contains a compound that can cause poisoning, so it is always important to remove it and cook the potato before serving it to the animal. Some other vegetables from this family should also be offered in moderation such as eggplant, peppers, tomatoes and jello, which belong to the nightshade family,” he continues.
With avocados, it is worth paying attention: present only the fruit, without the seeds, peel or leaves. In contrast, grapes should not be eaten by pets, as they can cause severe acute kidney failure.
“We must also be careful with sugar, frying, xylitol, sweetener foods, some peppers, cooked bird bones, white leathery bones and seeds such as apples and pears. And when you give fruit to the animal, the master must peel it and remove the pit and seeds so that that food can be eaten more safely,” Anna directed.
Also pay attention to another food that is very dear to humans, but should not end up in the mouths of dogs, cats and other pets: chocolate. According to the vet Marcio Antonio ProntoClinical Nutrition Doctor Bitter More Dangerous:
“Chocolate, especially bitter, consists of alkaloids that are not metabolized by pets, and therefore can lead to food poisoning. And if it is severe, it can lead to death,” he says.
The positive point of restriction of supply is that these foods do not need to be replaced in the animal’s diet. It should be based mainly on proteins and fats of animal origin and low in carbohydrates, which excludes the toxic foods listed above.
“Some animals have certain sensitivities, and so certain foods should be avoided depending on their diagnosis, but only a nutritionist or dietician can advise on this,” he adds. Andressa Rodriguez AmaralVeterinarian with a master’s degree in Nutrition for dogs and cats.
I found my pet eating poisonous food! what should I do?
First, keep calm, remove the animal’s food and keep an eye on it. “It all depends on the amount eaten and the weight of the animal and its metabolism. The teacher should note if the animal prostrates, if it stops eating, if it starts vomiting, has difficulty breathing or anything else deviates from this pattern He knows. If any change is noticed, the right thing is to take it to the vet so they can evaluate it,” says Andressa.
a second Lillian Christina Sodrya veterinarian who specializes in gastroenterology and is trained in animal nutrition, animals that already have digestive problems by nature and require extra attention.
“If a pet ingests prohibited foods, it can cause food poisoning. The most common symptoms are vomiting, diarrhea, gas and flatulence – they don’t necessarily go together. In some cases, we may notice cramps, agitation, and salivation.”
On the other hand, when in small quantities, foods should not pose a significant risk. “If the ingestion is in large quantities, it is always wise to take the pet to the vet for evaluation, even if the animal does not show any changes. If this is the case, the specialist will also know how to provide proper care once the food has been eaten,” comments Marcio.