Dogs, cats, etc.: More pets are poisoned by marijuana. Find out what the effects are

The most common symptoms are confusion, lethargy, abnormal or uncoordinated movements such as rocking, slow heart rate, and incontinence.

A recent study in Canada and the United States found that, compared to last year, more pets were poisoned, and some even died, by ingesting marijuana plants and food.

Research by a group of veterinarians has found that poisonings occur frequently in dogs, however, the hallucinogenic effects of marijuana have also caused injury to cats, iguanas, ferrets, horses, and parrots.

Most cases of cannabis poisoning occur orally, by ingesting edible products, cigarette butts or traces of the dried plant. Study author Jibran Khokhar, assistant professor at the College of Veterinary Medicine, said, Ontario Veterinary Collegeat the University of Guelph in Ontario, Canada.

said Dana Farbel, chief veterinarian at the North American Veterinary Society.

“The effects on a young animal would be much stronger than what we could be seeing,” said Farbel, who was not involved in the study.

“In a dog or cat, who, in fact, do not understand why they feel in a strange way to them, we clearly see signs of confusion, anguish, and anxiety.”He said.

He added that there is a double risk. “Many of the foods currently available come packaged in chocolate and fruit flavors, which are very appealing to dogs and even cats,” he added. Chocolate, grapes, raisins, and citrus fruits are toxic to dogs and cats, as is xylitol, which can be used in marijuana gum.

“In this case, we have a dog or cat that suffers not only from the toxic effects of THC, but also from multidrug toxicity.” Farbel said. “This clearly complicates the treatment of the animal and increases anxiety and cost to the owner.”

More people are telling the truth

The study was published Wednesday in the journal PLUS ONEIn Canada and the United States, veterinarians questioned their experiences with cannabis poisoning after Canada and several US states legalized marijuana.

Some vets have reported an increase in cases, which could result from increased access to legal marijuana products in some US states and Canada, which legalized cannabis in 2018. It may also be due to the fact that more people are willing to report the real cause, Khokhar said. About your pet’s symptoms.

“Since drug use is already legalized, more people are willing to report,” Khokhar said. “In the past, they would have come up with the same problem and say, ‘I don’t know what happened to my pet.'”

According to the survey, most people reported to their vet that the exposure occurred accidentally.

“However, I don’t think we can rule out intentional use, whether for recreational or medical purposes,” Khokhar said, referring to videos on social media showing people intentionally giving marijuana to their dogs or cats.

“People may also be giving their pets THC or CBD for medicinal purposes, but there are only a limited number of indications that CBD actually works for — everything else makes no sense,” he said. “Cannabis for medicinal purposes has not been approved for veterinary use.”

Symptoms most common in pets exposed to cannabis include confusion, lethargy, abnormal or uncoordinated movements such as rocking, slow heart rate, and incontinence.

“There were animals urinating everywhere,” Khokhar said. “The last one is the heightened sensitivity of the senses — everything from sensitivity to light, to extreme fear when you touch it or when you hear a sound.”

The study also found that most pets sometimes recovered after 24 to 48 hours in the veterinary hospital.

He added that sixteen dogs died after ingesting marijuana, but added, “It is difficult to assess whether the death was related to the cannabis itself or to other ingredients in edible cannabis, such as chocolate.”

“Pet owners should use extreme caution and keep animals away from any marijuana products, and store them in closed containers and in places where the animal cannot reach.”Farbel announced.

“The other thing pet owners should remember is that the cute baby-proof bottles we keep on prescription medications are not dog-resistant,” she added.

“Anyone who’s ever seen a dog chew a plastic toy or shoe can see how easy it is.”

Leave a Comment